[BoulderCouncilHotline] Proposed Ordinance 8545 Alternative

Folkerts, Lauren FolkertsL at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Aug 16 15:17:34 MDT 2022

Council colleagues, city staff, and hotline followers,

I would like to propose alternate language for ordinance 8545: Allowing for boards, commissions, and City Council members to attend meetings virtually or in-person; and setting forth related details.  In reading through this ordinance again some issues popped out to me that I had not noticed before.  In general, I’m concerned that these modifications could be used to limit in person public participation at the convenience of council, the city manager, or board and commissions.  I've brought these concerns forward to our Deputy City Attorney, and based on our discussion, Sandra provided the following suggested additions to the ordinance (the new language is highlighted) amending BRC 2-1-2 and 2-3-1(b).

BRC 2-1-2

The city council or city manager may allow for meetings that permit simultaneous in-person and remote attendance, exclude, or limit the public from in-person attendance at meetings provided that the meeting is available to the public either by telephone, over the internet or on television and the city council or city manager provides a means for public participation. The city council or city manager’s ability to exclude or limit the public from in-person attendance shall be limited to meetings where a public health or safety concern exists.

BRC 2-3-1
(b)  Each city board or commission shall:
7. Determine whether to hold meetings in-person, remotely, or meetings that permit simultaneous in-person and remote participation.  Boards and commissions may exclude or limit the public from in-person attendance at meetings provided that the meeting is available to the public either by telephone over the internet or on television, and the board or commission provides a means for public participation.  The city board or commission’s ability to exclude or limit the public from in-person attendance shall be limited to meetings where a public health or safety concern exists; and...

On Thursday I plan on proposing these alternative options, and would like to thank you in advance for your thoughtful consideration,

-Lauren Folkerts