[BoulderCouncilHotline] Cost projected for front door of muni

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 1 12:36:18 MDT 2019

In anticipation of tonight’s discussion regarding the front door of the muni, I would like to see a detailed cost analysis of what staff projects as the details of the cost.  The $700k figure seems extremely high and somewhat unrealistic.  I recognize a flood gate would need installing which increases the price, but $700k seems to be out of proportion to actual costs. For comparison, I’d like to know the costs associated with the remodeling of the muni building interior on the south wing and why that cost was not included in our budget for the council to consider.  Or other remodels that have recently been done in the city.  I’d also appreciate knowing other improvements which have cost the city approximately $700k for comparison.  I’d also remind all that there used  front doors on both the north and south front of the building so it’s not like there wasn’t an original structure for the front door.

When one considers the amount of funds the city has invested in the Sister Cities Plaza and surroundings which well exceeds $1-2 MM since 2007, activating the Plaza with the use of a front door into our muni building will make it a wonderful setting for families, residents, and visitors to our city coupled with the planned sister cities’ gifts exhibit just inside in the downstairs atrium. In its current condition, it is not activated and has become a de facto campground with trash and human fecies that many do not find welcoming or restful.

Why would we not take better care of the investments we have made to date? And why, with respect to codes for major buildings that are required of all buildings, to not have the city building follow its own rules and not have a front door?

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa Morzel
Member, Boulder City Council