[BoulderCouncilHotline] Aaron's Retreat Homework - 2019 priorities

Brockett, Aaron BrockettA at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jan 4 15:49:22 MST 2019

Hello everyone. Following is my feedback for our 2019 retreat:

A. 2019 work plan priorities

Already complete:

  *   Housing Advisory Board
  *   Commercial Linkage Fees

Priorities to complete with this council:

  *   Use Tables and Site Review Criteria Updates (at least the portions relevant to the BC zones and Opportunity Zone)
  *   Large Lots
  *   Open Space Master Plan
  *   Manufactured Housing Strategy

Other existing priorities, most of which staff are moving forward nicely:

  *   Vision Zero
  *   Climate Commitment
  *   North Central Boulder Subcommunity Plan & Alpine-Balsam Area Plan
  *   Boulder Electric Utility
  *   Broadband
  *   Community Benefit
  *   Shared Equity Middle Income Program
  *   Transportation Master Plan

Other priorities I would like to see addressed:

  *   Update of the homelessness strategy
  *   Long's Gardens preservation
  *   Encourage more housing along 28th/30th Street and in industrial areas. These were projects that were teed up after the completion of the comprehensive plan that have been on the back-burner that I would like to see made higher priority.

B. Process changes

I would like to see council focus more on our existing work plan and less on items brought up at the last minute. I thought the work plan that came out of our retreat at the beginning of 2018 was an excellent one, and I would have liked us to make more progress on it.

I also agree with Bob that we could have more focused study sessions and skip some of them in favor of information packets.

C. Committee assignments

I'm happy to continue my existing assignments:

  *   City representative to the Denver Regional Council of Governments (on which I also serve on the Performance and Engagement committee)
  *   City representative to the Urban Drainage and Flood Control District
  *   Open Space Master Plan process sub-committee
  *   Jalapa, Nicaragua sister city liaison

I would also be interested in serving on the Legislative committee. 2018 members were Sam, Suzanne, and Jill. I was already planning on asking if we could consider adding me as a fourth member of the committee, but with today's news of Jill's resignation, I would be interested in taking her spot on the group.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to working together on a successful and collaborative 2019.

Best,

Aaron Brockett

Council Member, City of Boulder

brocketta at bouldercolorado.gov