[BoulderCouncilHotline] Resignation from Boulder City Council and new beginnings

Grano, Jill GranoJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jan 4 13:17:07 MST 2019

Dear Boulder Community,

I write today with bittersweet news.  I have accepted the position of Director of Community Affairs for our new Congressman, Joe Neguse.  This is a senior level staff position with the United States House of Representatives and accepting the position means that I will be stepping down from my role on City Council.  Earlier today, I sent my letter of resignation to City Manager Brautigam, Mayor Jones, and City Council.

I struggled with the thought of resigning so shortly after being elected to office. However, as Congressman Neguse's Director of Community Affairs, I will still be serving the Boulder community, just in a new capacity.  While Congressman Neguse works for us in Washington, I will be based here in Boulder, and I look forward to continuing to deep dive
into the issues that the Boulder community - and all of the Second Congressional District - care about.  It has been an incredible honor to serve as one of your City Council members since November 2017. I love this city, and I care deeply about the people, animals, land, water, air, infrastructure, businesses, and institutions in it.  While as council members we can never please everyone in the community, I resigned knowing that I did my best and that I showed up prepared for every meeting.

As I told my former colleagues on council in my letter of resignation, it was an honor and privilege to serve with each one of them.  Each and every council member was a teacher to me in unique and special ways, and I leave confident that each one cares deeply about the Boulder community.  It was also an incredible honor to work with the City Manager, City Attorney and the entire Boulder city staff.  Our staff are the unsung heroes of our city, and I am truly in awe of each one of them.  I look forward to continuing to work with my former colleagues and city staff in my new role as Congressman Neguse's Director of Community Affairs. The thousands of hours that I have spent with members of the community as a City Council member will forever live in my heart. I look forward to continued engagement with you all.

With gratitude,

Jill Adler Grano
Director of Community Affairs for Congressman Joe Neguse

“Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high, where knowledge is free. Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls. Where words come out from the depth of truth, where tireless striving stretches its arms toward perfection. Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit. Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever widening thought and
 action. In to that heaven of freedom, my father, let my country awake!” ― Rabindranath Tagore