[BoulderCouncilHotline] Questions about Design and Construction Standards

Brockett, Aaron BrockettA at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Dec 16 17:11:07 MST 2019

Transportation and Planning Staff, I have a few quick questions ahead of our hearing on changes to the Design and Construction Standards Tuesday night, specifically regarding the Transportation Advisory Board and Planning Board's recommendations.

  1.  TAB expressed strong interest in doing a deeper dive into the some of the standards in the future to make them more consistent with our recently adopted Transportation Master Plan, specifically around bike and pedestrian safety. Would this be covered in the second phase of the Design and Constructions Standards revision? What is the timing for that phase?
  2.  Planning Board recommended changing the minimum sidewalk width from 4' to 5' in residential zones. Would this be covered in that phase 2 process as well?
  3.  Planning Board recommended adding consideration of "pedestrian safety, utility, multimodal use and walkability" when considering alternate street designs. That seems like a fairly straightforward change, could we include it in the ordinance we pass Tuesday night?
  4.  Finally, Planning Board recommended considering changing residential speed limits to 20mph. I believe that's already on our 2020 work plan, can you confirm please?

Thanks!

Aaron Brockett

Council Member, City of Boulder

brocketta at bouldercolorado.gov