[BoulderCouncilHotline] Ordinance 8364: Food Tax Rebate Program

Hyser, Kristin HyserK at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Dec 12 07:50:30 MST 2019

Dear Hotline,

In response to the CAC request for a brief history of the City-sponsored Food Tax Rebate Program, I am following up with some further information on the history and outcomes of this program. The corresponding City Council Agenda Memo has been updated to include similar information.

Food Tax Rebate Program History

Since 1967 the city has provided rebates on city sales tax on food purchases to help compensate lower income residents. Applications are received each year from March through June.  To be eligible applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria for the entire previous year: resident of Boulder, and; age 62 and over, or a family with children under 18 years, or a person with a disability. Recipients must earn 50% or less of the area median income.

As detailed below, since 2010, 8,693 applications have been processed distributing $910,424 to qualified recipients.

Older Adults 62+

Year

Qualified Applicants
Rebate Amounts $
Total Amount $
2010
465
70
32,550
2011
475
71
33,725
2012
549
73
40,077
2013
554
74
40,996
2014
540
75
40,500
2015
527
77
40,579
2016
591
78
46,098
2017
642
80
51,360
2018
645
83
53,535
2019
661
85
56,185
Total
5,649

435,605

Families with Children

Year

Qualified Applicants
Rebate Amounts $
Total Amount $
2010
175
213
37,275
2011
155
217
33,635
2012
162
224
37,184
2013
166
227
37,682
2014
172
231
39,732
2015
160
236
37,760
2016
143
238
34,034
2017
128
245
31,360
2018
150
253
37,950
2019
130
260
33,800
Total
1545

360,412

Individuals with a Disability

Year

Qualified Applicants
Rebate Amounts $
Total Amount $
2010
167
70
11,690
2011
150
71
10,650
2012
158
73
11,534
2013
173
74
12,802
2014
172
75
12,900
2015
141
77
10,857
2016
120
78
9,360
2017
124
80
9,920
2018
148
83
12,284
2019
146
85
12,410
Total
1,499

114,407

Please let me know if Housing and Human Services can provide any additional information.

Sincerely,
Kristin

Kristin Hyser
Deputy Director