[BoulderCouncilHotline] Convention and Visitors’s Bureau (CVB)/Events Management/Budget

Young, Mary YoungM at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Oct 1 20:06:08 MDT 2018

Hi Jane,

First of all, based on our conversation last week regarding Event Manager duties and expenses, I see the value in having city staff dedicated to management of special events and event applications. Special Events are more likely to run much more smoothly when the interests of the city are front and center.

Some questions regarding how this is funded:
1. Does salary for the events manager come from the general fund?
2. The memo mentioned staff participation from 13 city departments in reviewing special events applications, is this collective time also funded through the general fund?
3. Given that these events relate to tourism, would it make sense to have the above costs directly covered by the accommodations tax?
4. Could these city expenses be paid for by funds currently allocated to the CVB?
5. If so to #4 above, is it possible to adjust the 2019 budget to have the CVB cover event management expenses?

For reference, I have attached a screenshot of the graph in the staff memo illustrating CVB funding.

[image2.png]
Thank you.

Best,

Mary Dolores Young

“We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ~Martin Luther King Jr.