[BoulderCouncilHotline] Question raised at CAC - Energy Impact Offset Fund

Beck, Lynnette BeckL at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Mar 6 08:54:56 MST 2018

From: Vasatka, Elizabeth
Sent: Monday, March 5, 2018 4:27 PM
To: HOTLINE <HOTLINE at bouldercolorado.gov>; CAC <CAC at bouldercolorado.gov>; Council <council at bouldercolorado.gov>
Cc: Robertson, Jim <RobertsonJ at bouldercolorado.gov>; Tupper, Kendra <TupperK at bouldercolorado.gov>; Llanes, Sandra <LlanesS at bouldercolorado.gov>; Cook, Mishawn <cookm at bouldercolorado.gov>; Haddock, Kathy <Haddockk at bouldercolorado.gov>
Subject: Question raised at CAC - Energy Impact Offset Fund

Dear Council members,

I was informed that at this morning's Council Agenda Committee meeting, Mayor Jones asked a question regarding how the city will use the new Energy Impact Offset Fund's revenue.  The Fund, which is a compliance option for the electricity offset requirement and part of the marijuana ordinance, is on tonight's council consent agenda, Item L.

In the Dec. 7, 2017, Information Packet memo<https://documents.bouldercolorado.gov/WebLink/0/edoc/154204/1A%20Energy%20Impact%20Offset%20Fund.pdf>, staff explained how the new Fund's revenue would be used. Inserted below for your convenience.

  *   Approximately 7 percent for administration costs for Boulder County to invoice facilities, and collect the funds;
  *   Approximately 20 percent for 2018-2020 city staff or consultant time to source and manage new renewable energy projects; and
  *   The remainder to subsidize the development of new renewable energy projects within the city and county of Boulder to offset marijuana facilities' electricity use and help the community achieve its Climate Commitment<https://bouldercolorado.gov/climate> goals. Staff envisions using these funds to create new community solar projects for Boulder residents and businesses to subscribe to, with priority given to marijuana facilities and residents in the low to middle income ranges.
The city is still in the process of collecting funds and no projects are currently planned. However, you may hear more about this at your April 10 Study Session.
I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if you have any further questions.
Elizabeth Vasatka

Elizabeth Vasatka
Sustainability Coordinator
[https://bouldercolorado.gov/links/fetch/32014]
O: 303-441-1964
vasatkae at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:vasatkae at bouldercolorado.gov>
Climate + Sustainability
1101 Arapahoe, First Floor | Boulder, CO 80303
Bouldercolorado.gov<https://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>