[BoulderCouncilHotline] Comments/Suggestions to Open Space Master Plan Focus Areas

Young, Mary YoungM at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jul 23 15:54:39 MDT 2018

Dear Colleagues, Staff and Community,

Below are some comments/suggestions to the Open Space Master Plan Focus Areas which we will be approving tomorrow night. I am sending these ahead of time for your consideration in anticipation of a long evening and to save some time by bringing these up ahead of time.

  1.  Would like to suggest “Responsible Recreation, Stewardship and Enjoyment” in response to staff’s word-smithed “Responsible Recreation and Enjoyment” focus area.
  2.  Under Related Topics for Ecosystem Health and Resilience:
     *   Change “Preparing for” to “Adapting to” rationale: sad reality
     *   Combine “Considering restoration of populations/communities we have lost” with “Investigating shifts in the distribution of plant and animal species” and “Protecting biodiversity” Rationale: Closely interrelated topics
     *   Similarly, combine “Restoring degraded grasslands, wetlands, riparian areas and forests” with “Preserving floodplains”
  3.  Under Responsible Recreation and Enjoyment:

To supporting value statement add “connection to” so that it reads: We are united by our connection to and enjoyment of nature and our obligation to protect it. Rationale: We should recognize that, as humans, we are part of nature not apart from nature.

  1.  The following seem more like tactics rather than strategies:

                                                               i.      “Maintaining and improving trails” and “Managing dog waste” seem like responses to “Addressing recreational impacts on natural areas health.”

                                                             ii.      Similarly, under Community Connection, Education and Inclusion, “Partnering with schools” seems like a response to “Building future generations of open space stewards.”

  1.  Under Community Connection…

“Reaching out to underrepresented aspects of the community,” would like to see different word choice for “aspects.”

Thank you for considering.

Mary Dolores Young

"All ethics . . . rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts . . ." - Aldo Leopold