[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Co-op Ordinance Process Proposal

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jun 21 09:01:51 MDT 2016

Sender: Young, Mary

Colleagues and Hotline Subscribers,

Tonight, council will deliberate the first reading of the co-operative housing ordinance as a continuation of the May 17 public hearing. While I support the continuing use of the legislative process for iterating on the end result, council has received many emails from the public suggesting that we conduct outreach into the community.

In response, I would like council to consider the following suggestion as a potential tweak to the legislative process: to convene a group of 5 representatives from neighborhoods and 5 representatives of co-operative housing advocates to negotiate and suggest changes to the ordinance, with the help of a facilitator, after the second reading version has been drafted. A second reading draft version would incorporate public and council feedback to date and thus address concerns that the first reading version had not been broadly vetted.

The 10 representatives would be self-selected and selection would require very little additional staff time.

Thank you.

Mary Dolores Young
Mayor Pro Tem

"All ethics . . . rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts . . ." - Aldo Leopold