[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Parking in CAGID lots Downtown

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jul 21 08:18:46 MDT 2015

Sender: Cowles, Macon

Molly, thanks very much for the information that you have provided about downtown parking in City lots and City structured parking facilities.

You know far more about this than I do. It would be helpful for staff to present in a chart the charge for City parking in city facilities and other lots and structured parking facilities downtown. Because I was on Planning Board at the time of
their approval, I know that One Boulder Plaza has 511 parking spaces in 4 different structures in the core, downtown area.

One Boulder Plaza currently charges $200 per month for parking spaces. Like the City, they oversell the spaces in order that the spaces are not empty for a substantial part of the time. City structures downtown charge $110 per month and city lots charge $67 per month. While Wells Fargo has only surface parking, their hourly charges are the equivalent of $200 per month. I wonder what a current survey of the parking lots at Trinity Lutheran(Broadway and Pine), 1360 Walnut, 1350 Pine St, 1317,1319 and 1327 Spruce St. would reveal about their parking charges?

It is not surprising that we have several hundred people on the wait list for city parking, as our rates appear to be substantially below market. One might look at this as a subsidy that is provided to people who drive downtown.

It may be good policy for the City to charge only half of what private property owners charge for parking. But if so, it would be helpful to review the rationale and consider whether this subsidy is good for the City’s overall goal of reducing traffic, congestion, carbon, search traffic and the other impacts associated with cars in the downtown.

Bill Cowern kindly provided information about the number of spaces in the Civic Area, between the West Senior Center and 14th Street. If there is low cost parking for City employees, that also needs to be reviewed. It is my understanding that the City charges employees and contractors even less than is charged for CAGID lots and structures. How much do we charge people for these spaces. Are there scratch coupons available for only $2 per day, or am I thinking of another time and place?

Finally, there are the NPP spaces adjacent to downtown. What are we charging for them, and what is the rationale for that? Clearly, such parking is not for shoppers, but only for commuters. It is fair that commuters pay to park on the side streets adjacent to downtown, but is the pricing adequate?

Jane, I would like to know if there is a time on our schedule when the Council can be presented with the full array of costs and revenues associated with downtown parking spaces. It really is a policy decision as to whether this subsidy for downtown parking is consistent with the City’s goals.

There is no doubt that inexpensive, short term parking needs to be available to shoppers downtown. Further, parking for shoppers should also be convenient for shoppers—they should not have to go to the fourth floor of the lot at 15th and Pearl to find a spot, because all of the first in spots are taken by commuters who pay only 60% of what they would at another structured lot in town.

Thanks very much for your consideration of these issues. They are interesting and important.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Council Member
1726 Mapleton Ave.
Boulder, Colorado 80304