[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Parking in CAGID lots Downtown

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jul 24 15:09:33 MDT 2015

Sender: Winter, Molly

Dear Macon:

A chart with the public parking rates as well as the private rates are reported in the chart below.  Staff does survey private parking providers on the hill and downtown annually around April to determine our recommendations for public
parking rates for the budget process which is finalized in the 4th quarter and then takes effect the following year.  Staff proposes to raise the garage permit rates from $330 to $360 per quarter in 2016; the Council may weigh in on the proposal
during the budget process.   Since 2014 our parking rates in the downtown have increased by 28.6%  in the garages and 21.9% in the surface lots in order to keep pace with the market trends.

I wanted to share some other factors we consider when determining our public parking rates:

In the case of  private parking providers,  it is important to note that some of the private parking providers permit their parking to their tenants only. While each private parking rate may vary,  in the case of One Boulder Plaza, the $600/quarter is their published rate.   The  actual parking permit cost for each tenant is often lower and negotiated as part of their building rent lease.  According to One Boulder Plaza, the average cost is actually around $540 per quarter, varying by the tenant lease negotiation which is the result of many different factors.  Also included in the lease negotiations is the amount of parking provided for the tenants’ clients.  Those tenants are primarily larger, professional firms such as lawyers and financial institutions.  The private parking providers offer the ease and convenience of on-site parking which is a factor in attracting certain tenants, as well as certainty of parking availability. Since the private parking providers primary focus is providing parking for their tenants, their short term rates are often purposely kept high as they wish to discourage short term, non-tenant related parking.

CAGID has the responsibility to provide parking to all downtown users and tenants regardless of business type and location or reason for visiting our downtown – governmental, retail, social, entertainment, business or just hanging out.
We have a wide range of types of employees – professionals but also service and retail workers.  Hence the factors we consider when pricing parking are different than those of private parking facilities.  Our parking is off-site and is a mix of both permit and short term, visitor parking, and is not guaranteed.  We are careful  about how much we oversell parking permits in the range of 125% to 105%; the purpose of course is to maximize use of our existing facilities.  That said, it is important that we remain within the market parking pricing range so we are competitive and continue to use parking pricing as an effective tool to encourage turnover, maintain an economically viable commercial downtown, encourage the use of other transportation modes but also provide a balance of options, including parking,  for our diverse users.

Another factor that we consider in the district parking pricing is that downtown, as well as University Hill and Boulder Junction, are parking general improvement districts.  This means that properties within the parking districts pay an additional mill levy for parking and parking related improvements.  This district approach has been instrumental in our fundamental approach to parking the SUMP principles - shared unbundled, managed and paid - which has allowed for the construction in the downtown of our five parking facilities and surface lots. It also has been an integral factor in the development of our multi modal transportation solutions such as the downtown Eco pass program which have resulted in the highest alternative mode use in the city.   It does mean that the downtown property owners are already paying an additional tax to support the parking system so it is difficult to make an exact comparison between CAGID  and private parking providers.

I hope this helps in providing a broader context for how we approach the pricing and management of public parking.  I would be happy to talk with you further.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Sincerely,
Molly

Garages
2015