[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: PLB Neighborhood Initiative - a word version with line numbers

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Aug 20 12:30:31 MDT 2015

Sender: Cowles, Macon

Mike, thank you for helping me find the map of 65 neighborhoods that you referenced in your email below. I was able, with you help, to get to this map among the City’s GIS layers. However, this does not end the inquiry.

The label on this map is Neighborhood Associations, which are not the same as neighborhoods. I am placing below a screen shot of the Neighborhood Associations to which you directed me. This map displays GIS layers, and the Neighborhood Associations layer has been checked, and is displayed below.

Neighborhood Associations are not legal entities with specific jurisdictional boundaries. Neighborhood Associations are a concept even looser and less inclusive than an HOA. At least with an HOA, you know who the members are and where they live.  Members of an HOA are bound by covenants to which all have agreed.

The word “neighborhood” is not a defined term in our Code. It is a commonly used word, by all of us. We all use the word loosely, sometimes to describe an area of town; more often to describe a block face where we live. In the Pomerance-Livable Boulder Initiative, the term “residential neighborhood” is used. This further confuses, rather than refines, the issue. Is a commercial area part of a residential neighborhood? Is a commercial area part of a residential area when it is mixed use, but excluded when the commercial area is not?

So: I will repeat the assertion that I made. I am not aware of any map of the 65 “Residential neighborhoods" that are listed in Appendix A of the Pomerance-Livable Boulder Initiative.

You copied Council on your email. I am widening the circle to the Hotline, so that other interested community members can see the conversation.

Thank you for walking me to the map you have used for reference.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Council Member
1726 Mapleton Ave.
Boulder, Colorado 80304