[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Professional Standards Review Panel

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jun 6 08:12:49 MDT 2014

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Interim Chief Testa,

Thanks for the great information.  I want to begin by saying that I think the Boulder PD is well-run, and the men and women of the police force in Boulder do a very difficult job with a high level of professionalism and dedication.  It is much appreciated
 by the entire community.  With that said, my questions are asked in the spirit of understanding the system of checks and reviews that are in place to oversee those empowered by law to use force and arrest power in the community.  Even among the best police
 forces, there are those who can overstep their legal authority, or violate the law outright, and I am coming up to speed on the oversight process.  Thanks for helping me out.

I have a few additional questions about the Professional Standards Review Panel:

1) What are the durations of each of these panel appointments?

2) How many times has this panel met in each of the last two years?  How many Class 1 complaints were submitted and reviewed in each year?

3) As a recent example to consider, were cases regarding police employees who were involved with the elk shooting incident (both those criminally charged, as well as others who may have had knowledge of the event) brought before this panel?

4) Are notes kept of the panel discussions?

5) Are panel meetings public?

6) Is there an appeal process of the panel decisions?

7) Are panel decisions advisory or binding?

Thanks in advance for your responses, and for your service.

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council
weavers at bouldercolorado.gov