[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: First Reading Comments/Questions: Ordinance 9th and Canyon Urban Renewal Plan

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Aug 20 12:59:22 MDT 2014

Sender: Young, Mary

As someone who has served on the Civic Use Task Force IV since its inception in 2009, I am happy to see this finally gaining momentum towards a resolution. Thank you to everyone
 who served on this task force so diligently for over five years!

The ordinance looks fine, I have some comments/questions regarding the DRAFT Letter of Intent:

1. On packet page 174, in the middle of the page, there is a statement that reads "Staff will be exploring
financing mechanisms to subsidize the costs of the space in order to be accessible to community and civic organizations."

And again on packet page 177 it reads (emphasis is mine) " A management agreement will be developed that will set forth the standards under which the events space and roof top deck will be operated including:
o The event space will be used in a manner to be cost neutral to St. Julien.
o An approved list of qualified outside caterers will be developed.
o Scheduling method will be developed.
o Determination by the city for the creation of a civic benefits subsidies in order to make the space affordable for local non-profit or civic groups.

Would theses subsidies be in addition to the "cost neutral" rate that the St. Julien would provide the space for? I don't recall the CUTF discussion where we agreed that the city would be providing the subsidies.

2. On packet page 184, item 2b Project Concept reads "The event space and the rooftop deck will be available for use by community members and visitors through rental of space by civic groups and not-for-profit organizations. It is anticipated the civic use
 space will be used for meetings, celebrations, exhibits, fund raising events and art exhibits."

All spaces anywhere in town are "available for use by community members and visitors through rental of space" what is different about this space is that
as a civic benefit it will be available at a reduced cost. This statement and the entire document should reflect that.

3. On packet page 185, with respect to item 3e - Design of Space reads "The building will be designed, if deemed feasible through the design process as to architectural constraints and commercial functionality, with an outdoor roof top area that will be available
 for use by community members and visitors through rental of space by civic groups and not-for-profit organizations."

Several things concern me about this statement. a) "if deemed feasible" is not acceptable language as the rooftop space is a critical attribute of the Civic Use to be provided to the community and a big part of why the CUTF moved forward with this, b) "available
 to the community through rental of space" constrains the space to paying customers. I would like to have flexibility in the language to make the space open to all without a fee on at least limited occasions, c) I would like the last phrase to read "that will
 be available for use by community members and visitors through rental of space by civic groups and not-for-profit organizations
at a reduced cost."

Thank you.

Mary
 Dolores Young