[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Civic Area Planning Expenses

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Aug 19 13:29:03 MDT 2014

Sender: Leef, Paul

Dear  Council Member Young,
Please find an overview below about Civic Area implementation.  We have also included specific answers to the questions you raised via Hotline.
Overview
Implementation of the
Civic Area Vision Plan is proceeding along three parallel work plans: (1) park activation and programming (2) site transformation, including the potential 2014 Ballot items and (3) long term capital projects, potentially involving a major 2016 Ballot initiative.

Initial planning for the site transformation(Park at the Core) is currently being funded by Parks & Recreation.  If approved, the temporary tax proposed
 for the 2014 ballot measure would fund both hard and soft costs for the design, construction and delivery of these exterior park-related site improvements.
  Other 2014 ballot item projects, such as Boulder Creek Path and University Hill improvements, are consistent with this approach, including project planning and design costs in the project
 scope.
The third civic area work strand involves planning studies for long-term capital project (potential buildings and/or facilities at the east and west
 ends of the site).  As indicated during the Aug. 12 CIP study session, there may be a bond measure (potentially in 2016) to address long-term capital needs.  The $415,000 budget request would be used to help prepare for such measure, enabling the performance
 of feasibility studies, programming and other due diligence work related to the long-term facility projects in the civic area.

1. Where did the additional $365K came from to dedicate to this project?

Clarification about funding is warranted and the draft CIP budget is being updated accordingly. This material will be distributed on Sept. 2 in preparation for the Sept. 9 City Council Budget Study Session.  This proposed funding
 would support a potential 2016 Ballot item.

2. Why is it not part of the proposed temporary tax that will generate $8.7 million specifically for the Civic Area?
The $415,000 budget request would be used for the planning of long-term capital project (referred to as “bookends” in the vision plan) for a possible
 2016 Ballot measure.  This proposal is separate from the temporary tax measure that is focused on the delivery of the parkland capital improvements for site transformation proposed in the near term.
3. If we expend this money as part of the 2015 CIP, what would happen if the temporary tax did not pass?
If the temporary tax does not pass, staff would develop strategies to advance the implementation of the

Civic Area Vision Plan, albeit on an incremental or delayed basis.  The plan would take much longer to execute either through a series of smaller projects and/or potentially through a larger capital bond initiative in the future.  Studies for the longer-term
 capital projects need to be completed to implement the vision plan under any capital funding scenario.
4. If it would be possible to provide an option to council that shows this expenditure budgeted as part of the money generated by the temporary tax?
The Ballot item proposed for 2014 includes all soft costs needed for the implementation of the planned ‘Park at the Core’ improvements.  No adjustment
 is needed to address the scope of work proposed under the temporary tax.
We hope this is helpful.  If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.
Best regards,
Paul Leef and Jody Tableporter
Paul M. Leef, AIA, LEED™AP
Senior Architect/Planner
Office of Community Planning & Sustainability
Boulder Civic Area
www.bouldercivicarea.com
303.441.3441