[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Request For CoB To Co-Host Local Food Summit With Boulder County

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 2 07:57:03 MDT 2012

Sender: Plass, Tim

Fellow Council Members,
Suzanne and I plan to bring up under Matters at our Oct. 2 council meeting a request that the city co-host a Local Food Summit with Boulder County. We met with county staff last week and they were enthusiastic about the idea.

At our Council Retreat in January, we discussed the city's support for local food systems, building on the inclusion of a section on local food in the 2010 update to the BVCP. As we look to become more sustainable, local food will play an increasingly central role in achieving our goals. Many entities including CU, BVSD, Boulder County, local farmers, Transition Colorado, grocers and folks working for food justice all have a desire to promote local food. However, there hasn't been an effort to bring all of the various parties to the table at once. The food summit would be an opportunity to do that. I would expect that the agenda might include understanding the efforts that have already been undertaken, what the obstacles to success are, and where there are opportunities to collaborate, form partnerships and overcome barriers.

The summit could also be very helpful in shaping the role that the city should play in promoting local food, whether it be through better utilizing our open space, in an expanded farmers market, capital investments in facilities like commercial kitchens, partnerships with other entities, or solidifying a brand for our local products.

Since there would be staff time involved in co-hosting (potentially a couple of scoping meetings and a half day event), we wanted to bring the matter to the council and see if there was support to move forward.

More details tomorrow night.

We look forward to your comments.

Thanks,

Tim and Suzanne