[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: First Reading comment - wastewater utility rates

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 2 07:56:41 MDT 2012

Sender: Wilson, Ken

I am writing from beautiful Snowmass Village where we have been watching the aspen leaves turn the mountains into yellow, gold, and red wonders.  Some of the trees dropped their leaves early, but many groves are spectacular this year.

During the budget study session several weeks ago I questioned staff on the necessity of raising Wastewater Utility rates 5% next year.  Since that time I have reviewed material provided by Utility and find that their plan makes sense.  The Utility will be required in a few years to construct a significant upgrade in how we process our wastewater in order to meet new Federal treatment requirements.  Rather than have a massive increase in rates during the first year of construction, it is better to build up reserves a bit by starting moderate rate increases now.  Based on the new information, I support staff's recommendation for the 5% rate increase.

Ken Wilson