[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Move to Amend--Putting the Referendum on the ballot

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue May 17 11:14:43 MDT 2011

Sender: Cowles, Macon

Many people in our town support the Move to Amend the US Constitution as the most promising way to reign in corporate power and the effect of billions of dollars of corporate money every election cycle that is put into moving a corporate agenda in the Congress and the states. These supporters have asked us to put a ballot initiative for consideration by the voters, so that the people of Boulder can weigh in on this important issue.

I support placing this referendum before the voters. I hope that other Councilors will consider placing this item on the ballot as well.

I have only one change to suggest to the proposed language, changing the words "City of Boulder" to "the People of the City of Boulder" in the first line.

Here is the language, with the suggested change:

RESOLVED, the People of the City of Boulder, Colorado, call for reclaiming democracy from the corrupting effects of undue corporate and monetary influence by amending the United States Constitution to:
1. abolish corporate personhood and prohibit the granting of Constitutional rights to any entity other than a human being; and to
2. clarify that the expenditure of money is not Constitutionally protected free speech so that money spent to influence elections can be subject to reasonable regulation to promote equal protection under the law for all human citizens.

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Councilor