[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: A dashboard to show indicators of Sustainability

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jul 25 13:51:28 MDT 2011

Sender: Cowles, Macon

A "Dashboard" is the term used to describe a gauge, chart, map or other display that can be quickly accessed on a computer in order to show the user the status of sales, business or environmental information. Creating dashboards using business intelligence software is a rapidly growing business. See, for example, http://www.promorphics1.us/22/interactivedemos/demos to see what intelligently created dashboards displaying business information look like.

The City of Oberlin, OH, Oberlin College, Lucid Design Group and other regional collaborators are in the process of designing a dashboard that will show:

1.  The flow of energy and water use in buildings as well as in the campus as a whole, and;
2.  Bioregional information, that is, environmental flows in the region (northern Ohio).

We have been developing sustainability indicators for some period of time, and there is some reason to question our success in implementing them, much less using them.

I wanted to forward the attached article along so that people can be familiar with how dashboards are being developed to put people in touch with the question as to how well we are really doing in achieving sustainability.

For a look at some ways that dashboards are being developed to serve environmental and municipal purposes, you can go to http://www.luciddesigngroup.com/

Macon Cowles
Boulder City Councilor