[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Suggested language changes for Ballot Questions

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jul 26 09:04:31 MDT 2011

Sender: Wilson, Ken

I have a change that I would like to discuss in ballot language for the proposed CAP Tax increase that Council will be considering at second reading and the proposed Occupation Tax increase.  We received new ballot language from the City Attorney last night that made changes based on 1st reading comments.  The proposed language change below is a slight modification of that language.  Council will be discussing ballot language tonight at the study session and will be voting on ballot language at the second reading, with public participation, next Tuesday evening.  We will be looking at either the CAP tax increase or the Occupation tax increase to go on the ballot, but not both.

The language I am proposing would basically use the increased revenue from the CAP Tax or the Occupation Tax to provided incentives in the City of Boulder for renewable energy.  This would only happen if the voters do not approve municipilization or if the City at some later point decides to take an off-ramp from municipilization if it becomes clear that the municipal electric utility would not be a good business for the city due to high acquisition costs.  It is my thought that the incentives for renewable energy could be focussed on rooftop solar, up to 5 kW, within the City and could be in addition to other rebates and RECs paid by other entities.  The increases in the CAP Tax or Occupation tax would create a fund of approximately $2M per year.  I can speak more to these issues at the study session tonight.  Here is the language:

(CAP TAX Ballot initiative - Page 17 in the new material provided by the City Attorney's office last night in Attachment A)  My language replaces language in the middle of the ballot language we received last night.

Starting with    "AND SHALL THE CITY’S CLIMATE ACTION PLAN EXCISE TAX BE EXTENDED FROM ITS CURRENT EXPIRATION DATE OF MARCH 31, 2013 THROUGH MARCH 31,2018 FOR THE CONTINUED PURPOSE OF IMPLEMENTING THE CITY’S CLIMATE ACTION PLAN AND FOR EITHER: 1) FUNDING PRELIMINARY COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH CREATING A MUNICIPAL ELECTRIC UTILITY AND ACQUIRING AN EXISTING ELECTRIC DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM OR 2) CREATING INCENTIVES FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY IF THE CITY DECIDES NOT TO CREATE A MUNICIPAL ELECTRIC UTILITY."

(Occupation Tax Ballot Language - Page 22 in the new material provided by the City Attorney's office last night in Attachment B)  My language replaces language in the middle of the ballot language we received last night.

Starting with    “EXPIRATION DATE OF DECEMBER 31, 2015 THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2016, FOR THE GENERAL COSTS OF GOVERNMENT AND EITHER: 1) THE PRELIMINARY COSTS OF FORMING A MUNICIPAL ELECTRIC UTILITY OR 2) CREATING INCENTIVES FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY IF THE CITY DECIDES NOT TO CREATE A MUNICIPAL ELECTRIC UTILITY. "

I hope it is clear where this language would go.  The ballot language we received last night has some parts that we will want to discuss, such as why the end date for the CAP tax increase is different from the end date proposed in the Occupation tax increase.  I have not changed those dates from the language we received last night, but wonder why they are different.

Ken Wilson
.