[BoulderCouncilHotline] East Boulder Subcommunity Plan rezoning standards

Brockett, Aaron BrockettA at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Oct 6 13:57:35 MDT 2022

Hello colleagues and Hotline followers. At our council meeting tonight, we will be considering several items related to the East Boulder Subcommunity Plan. One of them is a code change about when and how rezoning requests will be considered in the plan area. When I read over the proposed language, I thought that the scope was possibly too broad and could be difficult to interpret by future planning boards and city councils, so I worked with Planning and Development staff and city attorney Hella Pannewig on revised language that is more specific on how to consider rezoning requests and the standards that should apply.

Here's the potential revised language of Subsection 9-2-19(g) for council consideration tonight:

(g) Additional Criteria for Land within the East Boulder Subcommunity Plan and 55th and Arapahoe Station Area Plan Boundaries. In the East Boulder Subcommunity Plan boundary and in the 55th and Arapahoe Station Area Plan boundary, for an application not incidental to a general revision of the zoning map, the city council shall also find, in addition to requirements in Subsection (e) above, that the city has adopted any land use code changes contains standards necessary to achieve the vision and policies of the East Boulder Subcommunity Plan for the area proposed for rezoning. The intent of this requirement is to ensure that the land use code contains standards that will result in development of the area proposed for rezoning consistent with the vision of the plan, to ensure the rezoning will not otherwise negatively impact the achievement of the vision of the plan, and to not prevent rezoning until all anticipated land use code projects and programs of the plan have been completed. In making this determination, council shall consider, to the extent applicable for the area proposed for rezoning:

  1.  The ability of the proposed rezoning to achieve the place types and meet the place type performance standards established in the plan,

  2.  The ability of the proposed rezoning to achieve new and upgraded transportation connections designated in the East Boulder Subcommunity Connections Plan concurrent with development or redevelopment, and

  3.  whether the proposed rezoning may impact the city's ability to incentivize the creation of or participation in one or more general improvement districts, or an equivalent organization, proposed in the plan.

I look forward to our discussion.

Best,

Aaron Brockett

[cid:121f61c0-750d-4b27-ba2b-56486b9babf7]

<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>

C: 720-984-1863

brocketta at bouldercolorado.gov