[BoulderCouncilHotline] Organization of discussion regarding CU-South annexation on Sep 21, 2021

Weaver, Sam WeaverS at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Sep 20 16:15:28 MDT 2021

Fellow Council Members and HOTLINE followers,

Tomorrow night on Sep 21, Council will consider action on Resolution 1295 and Ordinance 8483 related to the annexation of the property commonly called CU South.  Because this is a multi-faceted issue, I suggest that at the beginning of the item we start by establishing our process for deliberation and decisions.  Below you will find my proposal for how to organize our discussions and any motions.  This suggested structure is only that - a suggestion - and we will confirm at the beginning of the item what the will of Council is for our process for the item.  I am sending this suggested process ahead of time so that each Council Member will have time to consider what they think is best.

Suggested organization for item 5A on Sep 21:

  1.  Lay out proposed organization of Council discussions and deliberations, confirm Council agreement or modification
     *   Remind Council and public about Council Members Joseph and Yates recusals, both must not be present during Council discussion of this item
     *   Confirm that Council Member Nagle has had opportunity to review Sep 14 meeting recording
     *   Confirm organization of Council discussions and deliberations
  2.  Proposed questions/discussions/deliberation/motion/voting process:
     *   Summary by staff of proposed actions under item 5A (approve or deny resolution, approve or deny ordinance, if approved do so by standard adoption or by emergency, staff recommendations)
     *   Summary by staff of recent amendments to the annexation agreement publicly proposed by Council Members that CU has accepted/adjusted
     *   Council questions

                  i.      Questions and clarifications on recent amendments proposed for annexation agreement

                 ii.      Council clarifying questions on any resolution or annexation agreement ordinance subjects

     *   Council discussion and deliberations

                  i.      Annexation agreement structure (de-annexation terms, flood protection, first right offer/refusal options, land/water-rights exchange, etc)

                 ii.      Overall land use and zoning designations (P zoning over 3 different land uses, any other zoning issues)

               iii.      Development zone conditions in annexation agreement (height plane, setbacks, phasing, uses, etc)

               iv.      Transportation conditions in annexation agreement

                 v.       Open Space and environmental conditions in annexation agreement

               vi.      Passage by emergency or non-emergency

     *   Council motion(s) on Resolution 1295, final deliberations, vote
     *   Council motion(s) on Ordinance 8483, final deliberations, vote
  1.  Check in with City Attorney that all steps and guidance necessary for annexation ordinance adoption or denial have been completed correctly
  2.  Staff summary of next steps, any final Council comments

Please let me know directly via email if you have questions or feedback.

All the best,

Sam Weaver

[cid:image001.png at 01D7AE38.3F4D4870]

weavers at bouldercolorado.gov