[BoulderCouncilHotline] 2019-2021 Council Committee Update

Joseph, Junie JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Nov 9 14:01:25 MST 2021

Dear Council and Community Members:

Tonight, I will leave the Council meeting early—I will not be part of the discussion and update on “Council Intergovernmental and Inter-Organization Committee Assignments”. Consequently, I wanted to provide you an update on what I have been up to this year.

Being a part of the Boulder City Council has been a fulfilling experience. I have been hard at work to uphold the values of our community while striving to make Boulder a better, and more equitable place to live. These are some of the committees that I have been involved with:

Colorado Municipal League (CML) - Policy Committee
CML advocates for local government interests at the Colorado State Legislature and weighs in on federal issues. With Mayor Weaver, I promote the City’s policy positions within CML.

Intergovernmental Affairs Committee
As a member of the Intergovernmental Affairs Committee with Mayor Sam Weaver, Council Member Brockett, and Wallach, we work closely with City Staff to further the City’s interests within the state and the federal legislature.

Racial Equity Guiding Coalition
As a member of the Racial Equity Guiding Coalition with Council Member Mary Young, Adam Swetlik and Aaron Brockett, I support the promotion of racial equity initiatives within City programs. I have decided not to move forward as a member of this committee.

Police Master Plan Process Subcommittee
As a member of the Police Master Plan Process Committee with Council Member Bob Yates, I provide support and guidance to City Staff in the master planning process, which sets out to correct existing facility deficiencies. I have decided not to move forward as a member of this committee.

Financial Strategy Committee
The Financial Strategy Committee is responsible for understanding the city’s current and future financial standing with the goal of creating plans to address the city’s unfunded needs. This committee is responsible for many of the future funding plans for social services within Boulder, including transportation and open space improvements. Currently, with council members Young and Wallach, I help the city navigate the Covid-19 budgetary shortfalls.

Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG), Alternate
As an alternate to DRCOG, I support fellow council member Aaron Brockett in his collaborative efforts with regional stakeholders to establish policy guidelines, and to allocate funding in the areas of transportation, growth, development, aging, and disability.

Boulder Housing Partner (BHP)
Founded in 1966, Boulder Housing Partners (BHP) is the housing authority for the City of Boulder. The organization owns and manages affordable housing for low- and moderate-income residents and is committed to fostering a healthy sense of community in every property it develops. I serve as the City Council’s Liaison to the Board. I have decided not to move forward as a member of this committee.

National League of Cities
This is my favorite Council engagement. As a member of the National League of Cities, I have the opportunity to collaborate with local leaders from all over the Nation. I am on the Human Development Committee, The Race, Equity, And Leadership (REAL) Council, and The National Black Caucus of Locally Elected Official (NBC-LEO) Board:

  1.  The Human Development Committee is responsible for developing policy positions and leading NLC’s advocacy on issues involving social services, children and learning, poverty and income support, employment and workforce development, equal opportunity, education, Social Security and seniors, individuals with disabilities, public health care, mental health parity, and immigration reform.
  2.  The REAL Council promotes Racial equity within local government; it offers tools and resources to help local elected leaders build safe places where people from all racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds thrive socially, economically, academically and physically in their respective communities.
  3.  Within NCL, NBC-LEO is at the forefront of national issues that impact black communities around the nation.

Boulder’s Sister City Program
For over 20 years Boulder's Sister Cities program has developed meaningful relationships with several communities internationally. I am the liaison for Sister City Yateras Cuba. In this role, I have not been very active. However, over the next two years I look forward to cultivating the right relationship to further the City’s mandate with its Sister Cities.

Mile High Flood District
As an independent agency, the Mile High Flood District is governed by a board of directors consisting of twenty locally elected officials such as mayors, county commissioners, city council members, and two registered professional engineers. The Mile High Flood District advocates for public safety and supports local governments by building partnerships, influencing responsible practices, and promoting community welfare. The organization provides services to all or parts of 41 local governments in the Denver region. As a member of the Board of this organization, my appointment is term limited—to coincide with the appointment of the new Mayor and Mayor Pro Tem.

As you can see, I have taken on a broad range of issues in my first two years as a council member. I thank all the colleagues who I have served with and will continue to serve with. All these committees have broadened my experience and knowledge as a Council Member. I believe that any and all of the committees will be a great experience to returning or upcoming council members. I am still very much interested in continuing my service on the remaining committees, but I will gladly step aside or make room to allow another council member to take over.

P.S: this email may have formatting issues when you receive it.

In service with honor,

Junie

Junie Joseph
Council Member
MA Human Rights/J.D.
[cid:1a36ec08-d4de-45af-8c26-f0a291fac1d2]<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>

Phone: 720-789-3234
JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov

City Council
1777 Broadway Street Boulder Colorado 80302
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov<http://www.boulderparks-rec.org/>