[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: Follow-up to CU COVID Presentation of 9/1/2020

Young, Mary YoungM at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Sep 21 14:53:49 MDT 2020

Dear Frances,

It has been two weeks since I made the request below, I hope that you have the requested data and are planning to respond. My apologies if you have sent it and I missed it.

Cases, as you know, have reached exponential levels in Boulder County (case data plotted log scale attached) since your presentation to Council on Septemer 1. Many of the cases appear to be related to CU students, but we do not really know without looking at data disaggregated by students, faculty, staff and just as importantly, by race and ethnicity.

We know that Black and Latino communities have born the brunt of this pandemic and, it is my hope, that the University understands this and is addressing any disparities within your purview.

Last week you wrote to me with the happy news regarding the Los Seis sculpture in front of TB-1.

"The university recognizes that the Los Seis de Boulder sculpture has played an important role in deepening our collective understanding of a tragic chapter of university and Colorado history that continues to resonate with Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) and Latino/Latinx students, faculty and staff, and that it has contributed to greater community engagement and dialogue about diversity, equity, inclusion and antiracism."

I hope that your statement above can be put into action by providing data that would uncover disparities and make the engagement and dialogue referred to in your statement more than words in a press release.

Thank you.

We're all in this together...six feet apart.

In solidarity,

Mary Dolores Young

[cid:654eb943-c011-47e6-a32b-eb8131c19f1d]

"All ethics ... rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts..." - Aldo Leopold