[BoulderCouncilHotline] Sanctioned encampment + evictions prevention

Friend, Rachel FriendR at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Sep 11 21:19:51 MDT 2020

Dear esteemed colleagues and patient Hotline readers:

I an writing with an update to a Previous Hotline post, where I indicated a request for an emergency sanctioned encampment (relating to COVID).

I was advised that I needed to bring a fully formed proposal with my request, before I could hope for a successful vote. Thankfully, many wonderful and compassionate members of our community have stepped up, and have been working tirelessly putting together a proposal that seeks to:

 —Provide good outcomes, in line with our housing first goals, for individuals who are in dire need of shelter during the pandemic.
— Follow best practices for successful encampments around the country.
—Have buy-in from key stakeholders.
—Provide a significant community benefit, while being outstanding stewards of any city dollars requested / awarded.
— And do it all very quickly, given the COVID emergency and urgent community need.

I will send the proposal and a request for a motion to vote on a temporary, sanctioned encampment as soon as I am humanly able to do so.

And to spare everyone 2 Hotline posts, I also want to mention a new 30-day State of Colorado task force focused on eviction prevention. You can find information, including login info for the zoom meetings, here: https://cdola.colorado.gov/Special-Eviction-Prevention-Task-Force. As a member of the task force, I also invite and encourage colleagues and community members with concerns or ideas for solutions to please reach out in the next few weeks.

Warmly,
Rachel Friend
Boulder City Council Member
friendr at bouldercolorado.gov