[BoulderCouncilHotline] Mayor Pro Tem Consideration

Joseph, Junie JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Oct 30 08:29:38 MDT 2020

Dear Council & Hotline Members,

As Council Member Bob Yates year of service as Mayor Pro Tem<https://library.municode.com/co/boulder/codes/municipal_code?nodeId=TIT2GOOR_APPENDIXCOPR_COPR_IPROFMAMAPRTE> comes to an end, I would like to be considered for the position. The City of Boulder has come a long way from the small mining town it once was. Today, Boulder supports a world class university and a flurry of small-businesses. Moreover, our beautiful city is often regarded as one of the best places to live in the Country because of our high quality of life and dedication to safety. We have already accomplished so much together as a community.

A city as dynamic as Boulder deserves nothing but the most skillful, organized leadership, and I believe I am more than capable of fulfilling that obligation as Mayor Pro Tem. Since joining the City Council, I have learned a great deal, honed certain skills, and built many relationships, which I believe would make me a great choice for this position, if selected by my fellow Council Members.

I believe I have the character fitness to be the Mayor Pro Tem, because I am inclusive and engaging. I believe in fostering an environment of openness and transparency with my colleagues. Transparency is integral to properly serve the community, by keeping everyone informed and updated about current issues facing the city. Additionally, I recognize the importance of accountability to both the work and our Boulder community members. Accountability is key in creating a system of trust within the community. I intend to hold myself to the highest standard of accountability and transparency.

In addition, I am fully aware that making decisions on behalf of the community requires fairness and balance, by affording equal attention to every issue we address. I promise to provide a balance and a fair assessment when supporting the Mayor in setting the City Council’s agenda, while emphasizing teamwork through open communication.

The COVID-19 crisis has been disruptive to many aspects of our community. Our leadership incorporates both lived and professional experiences in order to properly serve the needs of all community members, including businesses. If selected as Mayor Pro Tem, I will bring my lived experience and my professional expertise in order to serve the most vulnerable members of our community and all others. More importantly, because no one has the key or the answer to the COVID-19 crisis, I promise to be adaptable, open to supporting community members who are most affected by the crisis, and willing to put in the work.

As previously mentioned, since joining the Council, I have been working hard to build the necessary relationships with local and regional stakeholders. I have had the pleasure of serving with our Mayor Sam Weaver and other Council Members on numerous city and regional committees as noted below:

  *   Intergovernmental Affairs Committee

As a member of the Intergovernmental Affairs Committee with Mayor Sam Weaver, Council Member Brockett and Wallach, I work closely with City Staff to further the City’s interests within the state and the federal legislature.

  *   Racial Equity Guiding Coalition

As a member of the Racial Equity Guiding Coalition with Council Member Mary Young, Adam Swetlick and Rachel Friend, I support the promotion of racial equity initiatives within City programs.

  *   Police Master Plan Process Subcommittee

As a member of the Police Master Plan Process Subcommittee with current Mayor Pro Tem Bob Yates, I provide support and guidance to City Staff in the master planning process, which sets out to correct existing facility deficiencies.

  *   Financial Strategy Committee

The Financial Strategy Committee is responsible for understanding the city’s current and future financial standing with the goal of creating plans to address the city’s unfunded needs. This committee is responsible for many of the future funding plans for social services within Boulder, including transportation and open space improvements. Currently, with council members Young and Wallach, I help the city navigate the Covid-19 budgetary shortfalls.

  *   Colorado Municipal League (CML)- Policy Committee

CML advocates for local government interests at the Colorado State Legislature and weighs in on federal issues. I support Mayor Weaver in promoting the City’s policy positions within CML.

  *   Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG), Alternate

As an alternate to DRCOG, I support fellow council member Aaron Brockett in his collaborative efforts with regional stakeholders to establish policy guidelines, and to allocate funding in the areas of transportation, growth, development, aging and disability.

  *   Boulder County Housing and Human Services Citizen Review Panel, Chair

The Citizen Review Panel<https://www.bouldercounty.org/government/boards-and-commissions/citizen-review-panel/> is a state mandated formal grievance process. The Citizen Review Panel (CRP) is an independent group of Boulder County citizens who review complaints regarding unresponsiveness or unprofessional conduct by Boulder County Housing & Human Services’ Family and Children Services employees.

As I look beyond my graduation day in mid-December 2020, I look forward to dedicating even more time to my city council work and to furthering the progressive values of our great city. What I may lack in the area of institutional knowledge, I will make up for with hard work and listening to feedback from my fellow council members. While I am confident in my ability to perform at a high level, I also understand the importance of listening, and working in a group.

In sum, our current Mayor Pro Tem Bob Yates has been a great fellow council member, and he has been an even greater teacher. I am so grateful for the work he has done on behalf of all of us during these challenging times and hope to continue on in his footsteps by offering support to the Mayor, my fellow council members, and the City Staff. If selected by the council, I promise to continue to promote human rights/ equity within Boulder through my support of the Mayor, in setting the City Council’s Agenda and in all other duties.

Thank you for your consideration,

Junie

Junie Joseph

Council Member

[https://attachments.office.net/owa/JosephJ%40bouldercolorado.gov/service.svc/s/GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AAMkADM3MDk4NjIyLTBiNDgtNDA0MS05YzVmLTQ1YWUwYWY5NDhlOQBGAAAAAACyCJSanDNQS4FtZbr6cDqTBwAgn1tHzzm6Sq120cPF%2B3zGAAAAAAEPAAAgn1tHzzm6Sq120cPF%2B3zGAADDCzg0AAABEgAQAJ9XINjIiPpCmQzqimVc3O4%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.office365.com&scriptVer=2020082005.06&X-OWA-CANARY=HVKHJer1ZkOU-wcEXKINphDHldLWTtgY0X5ohF6upqp1mBsHXcazApqU0wDUazfWwtHJfjaz_HE.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjU2MzU4ODUyMzRCOTI1MkRERTAwNTc2NkQ5RDlGMjc2NTY1RjYzRTIiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiJWaldJVWpTNUpTM2VBRmRtMmRueWRsWmZZLUkifQ.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.IO-RygBNNY2lgYASwnI05Ksi0jUCr7Fnn1yHT3ZYZ2G8q-ybsVMREYCQXQ_9vJeF0abzWXTQCNV-Bu7mD3Re82lXDHnJkixDxJvYnnc2iIqt7cOLzUPTjyd8LGp0pp91KznHt_lCLmg03rhgGiKmxIWyocSIUbPISm6m3Q9YKM2ARv5ssWueYVcgZB05Lp-51bG530PLjDc1ZG7pJO2slzjnFNGhBYj_61p70X_ZznXR2FMOxH52VuR-2adkC4a0zpZbof4IOjwp4zmoaCVFylvnAJbNgOq1p2W_bsMT-3JxgTH7lhrWHj6nbi8rBiXJ9o0Vrt6GJBLbjjV8IMhnQg&animation=true]<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bouldercolorado.gov%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cjosephj%40bouldercolorado.gov%7C4b5d66795a964b908a1908d84ea83823%7C0a7f94bb40af4edcafad2c1af27bc0f3%7C0%7C0%7C637345831699915286&sdata=tDj8FMdhFx%2BBW3koLd%2F8qhp9tRKF9zYtayTmiB9z3fQ%3D&reserved=0>

Phone: 303-441-3002

JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov>

City Council

1777 Broadway Street Boulder Colorado 80302

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boulderparks-rec.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cjosephj%40bouldercolorado.gov%7C4b5d66795a964b908a1908d84ea83823%7C0a7f94bb40af4edcafad2c1af27bc0f3%7C0%7C0%7C637345831699920264&sdata=e4z8vQY3E0xNPEU%2FABPzMwixVNSLPmzlQRBJM3RQ8L8%3D&reserved=0>