[BoulderCouncilHotline] Concerning closed streets, accounting for retailers and people with disabilities

Joseph, Junie JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Sat May 16 09:49:07 MDT 2020

Dear CAC,

Summer is fast approaching and we are considering closing down streets for restaurants, which I support. During Tuesday's Council meeting we should consider adding retailers to the mix, whereas retailers get to utilize the space in front of their business.

Retailers/ Boutiques face similar challenges to restaurants. We may want to consider an ordinance that allow retailers to use either the sidewalk in front of their business or half of the closed-street area to display their goods. Hopefully the discussion will include conflict mitigation as it relates to the utilization of shared streets between restaurants, retailers, and pedestrians, especially on Pearl and on the Hill.

Additionally, we should consider a process that would allow some or all businesses in the City to expand to the outdoors, if requested. This expansion may be limited by order to the summer months or until further Covid-19 notice. Please do keep in mind parking/ access for people with disabilities.

Best Regards,
Junie Joseph