[BoulderCouncilHotline] List from Monday

Friend, Rachel FriendR at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Mar 18 23:08:30 MDT 2020

Hello all,

I was asked to send out the suggestions I shared during Monday’s meeting.  I’ve tried to remove any suggestions that duplicated Sam’s list, other suggestions made Monday night, or those which have already been addressed.

I hope everyone is keeping their spirits up during these trying times, and staying well. List follows:

Proactive Community help

  *   Ensure adequate resources for children or partners who are isolating in unsafe/abusive homes
  *   Suspend water shut-offs
  *   Lift ban that prohibits safe parking
  *   Suspend evictions
  *   Organize delivery (e.g., groceries, rx) ESP to vulnerable individuals
  *   Keep list of things that are open. E.g., restaurants with carry out or delivery, groceries, highlight early shopping hours.
  *   Emergency financial support for individuals.  Q:  Coordinated entry handles emergency funding for individuals who may be on brink of becoming unhoused – but given that people who go through Coordinated Entry are already unhoused – how do we get this resource on people’s radar while still housed?

Advocate for state or federal actions during the state of emergency

  *   Mortgage / student loan / bills: no-penalty payment holidays
  *   Protections for employees who don’t want to risk going in to do non-essential work (if employers are not being supportive of social distancing). Akin to whistleblower protections
  *   CO Sunshine law – temporary change that would enable us to have some discussions via public email.
  *   Extend health insurance “qualifying event” window.  So e.g., if someone’s spouse passes away during this crisis, impacted family would have 6 months rather than 30 days to opt into the surviving spouse’s insurance coverage.

Other ideas to consider

  *   Transit (to reduce RTD virus exposure)
     *   Temporary conversion of select streets to bike lanes
     *   Help w/ renting e-bikes
  *   Public curfews
  *   Ballot petitions

Warmly,
Rachel Friend
Boulder City Council Member
friendr at bouldercolorado.gov
Mobile: 720-601-0163
she/her
Schedule office hours with Rachel<https://calendly.com/rachelfriend/office-hours>
Subscribe to Rachel’s Newsletter<https://mailchi.mp/e4d8f6fd362b/rachelfriendsubscribe>

"Where you see wrong or inequality or injustice, speak out, because this is your country. This is your democracy. Make it. Protect it. Pass it on." ~Thurgood Marshall

[/var/folders/ly/ryn0xl2n1bj643d_crrgctpr0000gn/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/Content.MSO/4607FE3.tmp]<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>

Boulder City Council
1777 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80302