[BoulderCouncilHotline] Community Choice Energy Resolution

Yates, Bob YatesB at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jan 6 12:41:40 MST 2020

Council Colleagues:

I am happy that we will be taking up tomorrow night Resolution 1276 in support of Rep. Edie Hooton's bill to study Community Choice Energy (CCE). I fully support Rep. Hooton's bill, which I believe could provide a pathway to greater energy choice and accelerated access to renewable resources across the state of Colorado.

There are a couple of sentences in the draft resolution which are not directly related to Rep. Hooton's bill and which I do not think are entirely accurate. Therefore, tomorrow night, I will offer an amendment to the resolution, substituting alternative language for these two sentences, which can be found in the second paragraph of the second page of the draft resolution. The original text and the alternative text are set forth below. Many thanks to Mary Young for helping with the preparation of the alternative text.

Best,

Bob

Current text:

The City of Boulder supports the CCE Study Bill while affirming its ongoing commitment to create a
local electric utility. In fact CCE is complementary to municipalization because it may result in more
choice for all communities in Colorado, and ultimately accelerate our state’s ability to achieve its clean
energy goals.

Alternative text:

The City of Boulder supports the CCE Study Bill while acknowledging that a majority of the Boulder voters have requested that city staff continue to explore the creation of a local electric utility. CCE could also result in more choice for all communities in Colorado and could ultimately accelerate our state’s ability to achieve its clean energy goals.