[BoulderCouncilHotline] Updated information from CDC on wearing of cloth masks in public

Weaver, Sam WeaverS at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Apr 28 08:01:38 MDT 2020

Fellow Council Members and HOTLINE followers,

In my HOTLINE post yesterday, I posted a graphic regarding masking, and said that we would be looking into the veracity of the % transmission rates in the graphic.  It turns out that while the overall message about the benefits of masking has merit, the % transmission figures are not supported by research.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends wearing cloth masks in public to reduce COVID transmission: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

The CDC has a resource page about cloth masks here, including instructions for making them from household supplies: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

There are other educational graphics which more accurately convey the advantages the CDC lists of wearing a cloth mask in public, and I expect that staff and our community partners will make these available if we move forward with any masking requirements in places of public accomodations.  I regret forwarding the previous graphic which had % transmission information not supported by research.

All the best,

Sam Weaver

[cid:image003.png at 01D61D33.3DF0D7E0]<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>

weavers at bouldercolorado.gov