[BoulderCouncilHotline] TMP comments

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Sep 17 14:42:38 MDT 2019

Dear Colleagues

Thank you to staff and the TAB for their extensive work on the TMP update. As I near the end of my tenure on city council, it is fitting the I leave with this update as when I first was elected in 1995, one of the first issues council then addressed was one of the first, if not the first, TMP update.  How far we have come!!

20 IS PLENTY!
One of the first things I wanted to accomplish on city council when I first was elected in 1995 was to reduce the speed on residential streets to 20 miles an hour. Clearly I didn’t get too far and was only able to establish a 20-mile-an-hour speed limit in school zones. But we got that accomplished. Now 23 years later I think we need to take leadership on establishing 20-mile-an-hour speed limits on our residential streets. All one has to do is consider speed and safety, momentum, and stopping times. And consider who lives on residential streets: children, pets, older people, people in general.  Our residential streets should be safe zones for all. This effort has taken too long and it is time to implement a 20-mile-an-hour speed limit on residential streets. 20 is plenty!

BUS STOPS
I’d also like to see improvements at our bus stops for those taking the bus in a variety of weather conditions. Maybe this is something we need to encourage or partner w RTD, for the time being.  I know from many older individuals or people with disabilities or parents with young children having seats at the bus stops would be a huge improvement and having bus shelters would be an even greater improvement and may encourage more people to ride the bus. Of course I would like to see the citywide Eco Pass.

BOULDER TRANSIT DISTRICT
As discussed for several years, I suppose the city exploring options to create a transportation district independent but in regional cooperation with RTD. I would hope this district would use additional types of transit vehicles to the large buses currently used. Most importantly, the city needs to have a transit service that serves the needs of our residents in terms of frequency and grids.

ENCOURAGE LESS SOV’s
For years we have been discussing reducing the number of single occupancy vehicles on our streets. I would like to see a more detailed plan on how we actually plan to encourage people to leave their car at home if they are driving by themselves. What other transportation options can we offer individuals?

PARKING NEEDS TO PAY ITS TRUE COST
Finally I would like to see the cost of parking be what the true cost is and not to continue to subsidize parking. Parking should pay its true cost. Maybe a strong education program educating our public the cost of a single surface parking space ($3000-5000/space) and underground parking which starts at a minimum of $30,000 per space and can continue upwards to $60-70,000 per space is the true cost. Cars are expensive.

HEAD TAX
As in the past, I continue to think a head tax on in-commuters needs serious consideration in the near future.

E-BIKES
Finally I would like to see the city have rebates for e-bikes so that more residents can readily access e-bikes as their primary mode of transportation.

ADDITIONAL IMPROVEMENTS
Additional crosswalks for pedestrians at key intersections ( such as Broadway and Kalmia) and reconsideration of certain intersections (such as at Broadway and Dartmouth) would go far in making Boulder a more pedestrian-friendly city. Improvements for bikes along 30th from Baseline north to Iris are critical in creating a north-south bike way that many bicyclists would use; during my entire tenure on council since 1995, the city has made multiple efforts to improve the 30th Street corridor but unfortunately these efforts have fallen far short of success.

I will not be at Council tonight due to long planned family commitments and have additional comments which I will submit later but wish council the best in its deliberations and hope council agrees to many of the measures I have mentioned here.

We can and we must make greater progress and making safety a priority for our residents on our streets. Given the council has proclaimed a climate emergency, it is imperative we do measures that are effective in improving our safety and, at the same time, reducing our greenhouse gas emissions associated with vehicles.

Thanks and good luck tonight,

Lisa

Lisa Morzel
Member, Boulder City Council
303-815-6723 c
303-938-8520 h

How far we humans as stewards of the Earth have fallen.