[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: Airport fund for 2020

Doelling, Kady DoellingK at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 1 15:34:08 MDT 2019

Good afternoon Lisa -
The $5.8 million dollar budget includes a one-time capital project of $5.4M for the rehabilitation of runways and eastern taxiway.  The project is funded 94% (or $5.1M) by federal and state grant proceeds and includes subgrade stabilization, re-paving and re-painting of Runway 8/26 and eastern half of Taxiway Alpha. Design began in 2018 and construction is scheduled to begin in 2020. Runway 8/26 is the only runway for powered aircraft and essential for operations at the airport. The runway was last paved in 2001, has an approximate lifespan of 20 years. This project was included in the 2007 Airport Master Plan CIP schedule. The remaining $400K is annual operations of the airport, which is funded through airport rental fees.

The airport has over 100 tenants (hangar rentals, etc...) and most of these are Boulder residents. The airport provides value to our community in terms of transportation (people flying to other communities), recreation (pilot training and glider operations), and as a base for emergency response (it was beyond valuable during the 2013 Flood).

Thanks!

Kady

Kady Doelling
Executive Budget Officer