[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: Housing Advisory Board suggestions from the CRC

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Jan 30 16:33:10 MST 2019

Dear Frances,

Thank you for forwarding this response. I have copied Council on this and ask they read your response.

Thanks for our meeting yesterday.

Best wishes

Lisa

Lisa Morzel
Member, Boulder City Council
303-815-6723 c
303-938-8520 h

On Jan 30, 2019, at 3:43 PM, Frances Draper <Frances.Draper at colorado.edu<mailto:Frances.Draper at colorado.edu>> wrote:

Dear Lisa:

Thank you for sending this over and for meeting yesterday.  Jane, I am copying you as well to provide some information related to our graduate students.

As city council members consider this request, they should be aware that this is a separate group of students from our United Government of Graduate Students (UGGS) which can be found herehttps://www.colorado.edu/uggs/about-uggs<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Xrg2CBB9GEf745xXcv-WNb?domain=colorado.edu>

During the past three years, former Graduate School Dean Ann Schmiesing and the leadership of UGGS have worked closely together to address and make significant improvements to the graduate student experience.

The Graduate School has worked to enhance the student experience including:
·        To address the financial challenges, we’ve significantly increased graduate student stipends, improved the pay schedule, and have eliminated the graduate student athletic fee and the course and program fees. A fourth consecutive year of increases to stipends is pending approval before the Regents for FY20.  Remuneration varies by departments.  So, for example, if the increase is approved, this will bring the total graduate student compensation package for engineering graduate students (one of our largest graduate student populations on appointment), including tuition remission and contribution to health plan, for 20 hours/week, for nine months, to $41,333.  I should note that we are competitive with our AAU public university peers nationally.
·        We also provided RTD transit passes to graduate students who hold summer appointments.
·        Recently, the Graduate School added a peer mentoring program and many professional development opportunities, which include graduate student writing seminars and workshops, the annual Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition, GradTalks and a professional development certification.
·        The Graduate School established a task force in October 2018 with the United Government of Graduate Students (UGGS) and the Office of Budget and Fiscal Planning to examine graduate student stipends, benefits, and fees, and look more deeply into how these compare with our AAU public peers. The task force is also examining the feasibility of various options for enhanced benefits. Final recommendations by the task force will be made later in the 2019 spring semester.
Please let me know if you have any questions and share with the other council members.  Of course, always feel free to contact me regarding issues related to the university that the community is bringing to your attention.  Happy to provide whatever information I can.

Thank you,
Frances ☺

Frances Draper
Vice Chancellor for Strategic Relations and Communications
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, Colorado 80309
O 303 492 4504
C 303 775 3192

[id:D4FB5138-F69C-46C3-B358-9B1435E15B23]