[BoulderCouncilHotline] Seating a Marijuana Advisory Board

Young, Mary YoungM at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Jan 17 14:20:05 MST 2019

Dear Colleagues, Community and Staff,

Yesterday, I met with a retail marijuana business owner. The conversation brought the need for several ordinance clarifications/potential changes to my attention.

While these items need to be addressed, the changes should not occur in isolation, lest we regress to our previous non-optimal approach. I bring this up because one item that that came up at our pre-retreat study session was that of seating a Marijuana Advisory Board (MAB). I support this suggestion for the reason stated above, changes should be considered holistically. Also, the industry continues to evolve and some business owners have now held on to their the businesses long enough that they wish to sell and their ability to do so at a fair value is affected by policies that could be updated. In short, businesses are not receiving fair treatment as per the intent of Amendment 64, that is that they be regulated in a manner similar to alcohol.

In preparation for a discussion on seating a MAB, I have the following questions:
1. What is the total revenue that the city receives from these businesses? Please breakdown by excise, sales and EIOF (Energy Impact Offset Fund).

2. What is the language in the ordinance that specifies the acceptable uses of those funds?

3. What do each of these taxes currently fund and by how much?

Thank you. I look forward to our discussion.

Mary Dolores Young

“We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ~Martin Luther King Jr.