[BoulderCouncilHotline] Retreat discussion item under process on decision tree and authority matrix Part 2

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Jan 17 12:06:38 MST 2019

Dear Council,

As I mentioned in my previous email that that at tomorrow evening's discussion under process, I want to introduce the idea of council considering a decision tree and possible authority matrix for council and staff to use.  I am including these attached three examples recently implemented at the American Geophysical Union (AGU).  While AGU (a community of Earth and space scientists that collaboratively advancea and communicates science and its power to ensure a sustainable future) has a different mission than the city's, it is a very large and diverse organization that, like the city, has lots of constituents, functions and needs and accordingly adopted and now has implemented decision tree.  The authority matrix is still a work in progress.

The Authority Matrix (still a work in progress at AGU) is probably the closest thing to the RACI doc. Its pretty granular, but it's meant to be. The Decision Tree is the first thing to use if an issue comes to AGU in order to determine who has the authority and resources to deal with that issue. The ppt is from a farewell speech from my friend, Carol Finn, former president of AGU, who sent this to me. I've included it because it shows her perspective on how to do the work with the right people with diverse perspectives, expertise, etc.   I think this could be helpful to us on Council and in the city.