[BoulderCouncilHotline] Mary's Retreat Homework--Priorities for 2019

Young, Mary YoungM at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jan 1 15:42:18 MST 2019

Dear Colleagues, Staff and Community,

Thank you staff for the 2019 Council Action Guide (attached for the benefit of the public) and to the Boards and Commissions for your letters. I found all of the material very helpful and appreciate the time you put into it. Much was accomplished in 2018.

I would like to take this opportunity to recognize important progress that was made this year in long overdue reconciliation with Native Americans. A hardworking committee of volunteers from throughout our community made it possible to welcome about 100 members of the Northern Arapaho, Southern Arapaho and Cheyenne tribes, many of them elders, back to their ancestral lands. Thank you to everyone involved, and especially to the Human Relations Commission who initiated it all with the recommendation for the creation of an Indigenous People’s Day and who has worked hard the last couple of years to make events happen.

Below are my responses to the retreat sub-committee’s request. I look forward to our January 8 discussion.
HOMEWORK ITEM #1: Please review the above list of 14 work plan priorities for the 2018-19 council that we established at our last retreat and indicate the following:
A. Rank the work plan priorities in the order that you think is most important to least important for this council to complete before the end of October 2019.
14 PRIORITIES
Important to this Council and for Opportunity Zone:

  1.  Use Tables and Site Review Criteria Updates
  2.  Community Benefit
Important to this Council:

  1.  Manufactured Housing Strategy
  2.  Large Lots
  3.  Shared Equity Middle Income Program
Priority with staff planned completion in 2019:

  1.  Open Space Master Plan - scheduled completion within this council term
Ongoing Priorities that will extend beyond this council:

  1.  Boulder Electric Utility
  2.  Vision Zero
  3.  Climate Commitment
  4.  North Central Boulder Subcommunity Plan & Alpine-Balsam Area Plan
  5.  Transportation Master Plan
  6.  Broadband
Completed in 2018

  1.  Commercial Linkage Fees
  2.  Housing Advisory Board
B. If there are projects that are not on this list that you believe that this council should complete before the end of October 2019, state and briefly describe the new project. Also indicate which of the 14 previously-established priorities that you would remove from the 2018-19 work plan to accommodate the new project.
The selection of Census Tract 122.03 as an Opportunity Zone (OZ) has effectively created a new project. However, several projects that were already in process can aid in ensuring that the OZ functions as intended<https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/opportunity-zones-frequently-asked-questions> and in tandem with the conditions of the OZ moratorium<https://bouldercolorado.gov/business/opportunity-zone-program>. The priorities below include those already in process as well as those resulting from the OZ designation:

  1.  Establishment of a publicly administered Social Impact Opportunity Fund (SIOF) to ensure that OZ functions as per stated intention, provide transparency and serve as an opportunity for philanthropic investors. (New)
  2.  Manufactured Housing Strategy should include and accelerate rent stabilization ordinance and explore partnerships to address aging infrastructure as there are two mobile home parks within the OZ (In-process)
  3.  Evaluate potential increase to Inclusionary Housing percentage in the OZ. One of the moratorium conditions is to allow housing within the OZ and as such, our community should attain as much affordable housing as possible in keeping with the intent of OZs. (New)
  4.  Define OZ oversight metrics as the federal program is weak in this area and many policy analysts are recommending that local governments enact oversight. (New)
  5.  Preservation/rehabilitation of market rate affordable housing stock. There are many “market rate” affordable units within the OZ that could benefit from investment in rehabilitation without displacement of current residents. (Ongoing)
  6.  Affordable Commercial as there are many small businesses within the OZ (In-process)
  7.  Prioritization of the East Boulder sub-community plan as much of this area is within the OZ (planned for later, need to accelerate) – willing to postpone Central Boulder sub-community plan

Not related to Opportunity Zone:

  1.  Update Towing Ordinance to include licensing – continuation of 2018 item
  2.  Long’s Garden Preservation – continuation of 2014 priority
  3.  Bias motivated crimes amendment to Human Rights Ordinance – continuation of 2018 priority
  4.  Review feasibility of Community Wide EcoPass given new pass programs and pricing
  5.   Bilingual pay – in order to increase outreach capacity and follow-up, some staff members are serving as interpreters outside their main job function, other communities (e.g. Longmont) pay staff for such duties (New)
C. If you believe that two or more projects can be combined, please so indicate.

  *   Community Benefit, Use Table and Site Review Criteria update are important Council priorities that critically relate to the OZ moratorium.
  *   Affordable Commercial (6) could be combined with Community Benefit (also as a pilot at Pollard) as could potential increase to IH in the OZ (3).
  *   Preservation/rehabilitation of market rate affordable housing stock could be addressed as part of Regional Housing Strategy with some subset of already identified tools<https://www-static.bouldercolorado.gov/docs/Preservation_7.1.15-1-201508281758.pdf?_ga=2.8825525.1422303813.1546290470-381836364.1470237386>.
  *   Community Wide EcoPass could be part of TMP

HOMEWORK ITEM #2: If you believe that there are process changes or improvements that council should implement, please briefly describe the change and the reason for it.

  *   Non-voting board member appointments of shorter terms to allow for youth and college student participation
  *   Add Information Packets to meeting packets - this could be in addition to separate email attachments to provide council members with options for managing council reading workload
  *   Include briefings prior to study sessions as was done in 2014 as another option for managing council reading workload

The following are process improvements suggested by Boards and Commissions I would like to flag for consideration:

  *   expand notification to residents and businesses, PB
  *   neighborhood meeting template for applicants, PB
  *   include BOZA in process for Large Lot project, BOZA
  *   hold human services community summits, HRC
  *   track ADU inquiries as well as applications, BOZA
  *   consider tiny homes, tee up as part of manufactured housing strategy, HAB
HOMEWORK ITEM #3:  Please indicate whether you would like any changes in your assignments to intergovernmental  organizations, internal city committees, local boards or sister city committees.
Here are the committees I am serving on:
Colorado Municipal League
Manté Sister City Liaison
Boards and Commissions sub-committee
Charter Committee
Retreat Committee
School Issues sub-committee
Racial Equity sub-committee
Open Space Master Plan process sub-committee
Dairy Board

and am happy to continue doing so.

Thank you and Happy New Year to all!

Mary Dolores Young

"All ethics . . . rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts . . ." - Aldo Leopold