[BoulderCouncilHotline] Vaping thoughts for the 28th meeting

Nagle, Mirabai NagleM at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 26 20:24:42 MDT 2019

Hello,

As I am unable to attending the Aug. 28th meeting, I wanted to provide my input on the vaping issues before us.

I believe that our community needs to work together, especially in a case like this.  I believe we are stronger and create better community when opposing sides can come to some understand of the other’s position, and find some middle ground.  That being said, this has come to council without much community engagement. I would love to see the businesses and individuals who are impacted by these new laws, sit down with, health professionals and community members in favor of a total ban to see if there is a way to work together and achieve our goal to protect the children, but allow adults their freedom to choose how to handle their own health.

I feel that council directed staff to enact about 95% of the protections being asked for, and the businesses are received about 5% of what they have asked for with the menthol and mint flavors being left in place. I am very happy so many of the businesses did support the age being raised to 21. I believe that sitting in a position as an elected official, we must listen to the many sides of the issue, and siding with just one party may not be the best form of governing.

I would like to see how the protections we are putting in place, do after a year, and if after that year we are seeing little or no change to the usage by youth, then we can enact an entire flavor ban.

I have found this entire process to be rather frustrating and saddening.  Both sides feel strongly and the challenges our youth are facing from this industry is devastating. I don’t think there is a single person who has been involved, who is not interested in protecting the children in this community and around the state. My hope is that other towns and the state will enact legislation that will make it more difficult for our youth to drive to a neighboring town to procure the vaping products and raise the age to 21 across the state.

Best,
Mirabai Nagle