[BoulderCouncilHotline] News, Info and Ideas from Boards, Consortiums, and my Travels

Grano, Jill GranoJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Oct 4 14:46:40 MDT 2018

Dear Hotline Followers,

I serve on the board of BMOCA and on the Boulder County Consortium of Cities.  I wanted to share a couple pieces of news and information from these groups.  I also want to share some ideas I picked up while visiting family in Santa Monica.

Tonight at BMOCA is the opening of a very special exhibition that features some of Boulder's most outstanding local artists - Caroline Douglas, Frank Sampson, and Patricia Bramsen.  This exhibition is curated by another outstanding local artist, Rebecca DiDomenico.  This is going to be an outstanding exhibition. Boulder is so lucky to these wonderful artists and BMOCA is honored to show their work! Please join us from 6:30 - 8:30pm!  https://bmoca.org/calendar/view/exhibition-event/opening-reception-for-worlds-suspended-in-reality

Last night the Boulder Consortium of Cities met and we received an update from The Boulder County Regional Housing Partnership and Homeless Solutions for Boulder County.  Rather than try to detail everything we discussed (it was two hours of detailed information), I am providing links to the documents we went through together.  Needless to say, there is great work happening in the region on addressing our affordable housing needs and in supporting our residents who do not have homes.  That said, there is more to do! Remember, stable housing is the best path out of homelessness - I am thrilled that we have adopted the Housing First approach. Housing Partnership Report: https://issuu.com/bcdhhs/docs/bc_rhp_booklet_v1_14feb17?e=23355236/44421372  Homeless Solutions Report: https://assets.bouldercounty.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/hsbc-report-may-2018.pdf

Finally, while traveling in Santa Monica, I came across some ideas for our own community that I wanted to share.  Recently, Lisa Morzel and I visited Whittier Elementary and heard from a very thoughtful group of third grade students about what they wanted to see Boulder do differently.  Better water fountains that include fountains for water bottles and dogs came up from many students. I happen to agree with them!  Santa Monica has some outstanding water fountains that include fountains for water bottles and dogs.  I have attached photos here.  I also thought that the solar charging benches in Santa Monica were fabulous - and so useful (photos attached)!  Santa Monica also recently placed adirondack chairs on a section of the Promenade.  People gathered around them to chat and it really brought that section alive.  I wondered if this might fit in well on the section of Pearl where the Courthouse is (photo attached)?  Finally, having lived on East Mapleton, which people speed down during rush hour, I appreciated that Santa Monica posts no turn signs on neighborhood streets during rush hour (photos attached).  There are many neighborhood streets that are unnecessarily used as rush hour cut-throughs and signs like these could really help protect our pets, kiddos, etc. (photos attached).

Thats all from me!

Six Month Status Report - assets.bouldercounty.org<https://assets.bouldercounty.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/hsbc-report-may-2018.pdf>
assets.bouldercounty.org
1 INTRODUCTION Work performed under the plan was led by a County Commissioner-appointed board with leadership provided by Boulder’s Community Services

[https://image.isu.pub/180222222642-161e86b428f314328f07eb68b3116b16/jpg/page_1.jpg]<https://issuu.com/bcdhhs/docs/bc_rhp_booklet_v1_14feb17?e=23355236/44421372>

DRAFT Boulder County Regional Affordable Housing Strategic Plan<https://issuu.com/bcdhhs/docs/bc_rhp_booklet_v1_14feb17?e=23355236/44421372>
issuu.com
Issuu is a digital publishing platform that makes it simple to publish magazines, catalogs, newspapers, books, and more online. Easily share your publications and get them in front of Issuu’s millions of monthly readers. Title: DRAFT Boulder County Regional Affordable Housing Strategic Plan, Author: Boulder County Dept. of Housing & Human Services, Name: DRAFT Boulder County Regional Affordable Housing Strategic Plan, Length: 44 pages, Page: 1, Published: 2017-02-14

[http://bmoca.org/assets/fb_image-1f8dcba24b7122541e6ed0ff5b5b9621.png]<https://bmoca.org/calendar/view/exhibition-event/opening-reception-for-worlds-suspended-in-reality>

Opening Reception for Worlds Suspended in Reality ...<https://bmoca.org/calendar/view/exhibition-event/opening-reception-for-worlds-suspended-in-reality>
bmoca.org
Thursday October 4 – 5:30-8:30pm – Fall 2018 Opening Reception will feature the opening of three exhibitions.

Jill Adler Grano

Boulder City Council

granoj at bouldercolorado.gov

303-917-6810

"The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing, becomes as political an act as speaking out. There's no innocence. Either way, you're accountable."
-Arundhati Roy