[BoulderCouncilHotline] Council Meeting November 8

Yates, Bob YatesB at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Nov 5 14:02:05 MST 2018

Council Colleagues:

I regret that I will be unable to attend Thursday evening's city council meeting. I will be attending the National League of Cities annual conference in Los Angeles, representing Boulder on the Information, Technology & Communications committee, and on the University Cities council. While at the NLC conference, I will work with our own Judge Cooke in her endeavor to bring the National Association of Municipal Courts (of which she is a leader) into affiliation with NLC. And, I will be honored to receive on behalf of the City of Boulder recognition for our community's national leadership in the expansion of solar energy development and use.

If I were able to attend Thursday's council meeting, I would support all of the items on our agenda, with the following exceptions or comments:

Municipalization:  I would vote against Item 3L, the authorization for the city to commence a condemnation lawsuit against Xcel Energy as part of the city's Municipalization endeavor. While this shouldn't surprise anyone, I will briefly state my reasons when the matter comes before council on second reading and public hearing next month.

Towing Ordinance:  We have received good feedback and suggestions from the Boulder Chamber, the Boulder Area Rental Housing Association (BARHA), and several property owners. Based on this helpful feedback, I would recommend that council remove from the ordinance the proposed one-hour waiting period. I believe that the rest of the provisions in the ordinance either incorporate existing state law or relate to what happens after a car is towed, likely of less concern to the Chamber, BARHA, and property owners, but which govern the relationship between the towing company and the car owner. The City Attorney's Office has observed that state law controls what happens to proceeds if a towed car is sold, so this provision may be unnecessary. However, I would still like to see notice of a tow (and a subsequent sale) given to a car owner as quickly as state law permits. Finally, I continue to support the changes that Mary Young reiterated in her Hotline posts yesterday.

30th & Pearl:  I wholeheartedly endorse the authorization of the Intergovernmental Agreement between the city and Boulder Housing Partners. As city council's liaison to the BHP board, I have had the privilege of observing how the BHP staff has quickly and effectively stepped in to lead this crucial affordable housing project after the city terminated its relationship with the former partner earlier this year. BHP's 50-year track record of delivering exceptional results and its experience in developing similar projects, including as master developer of the highly-successful Holiday neighborhood, give me confidence that the city has found the right partner. I urge you to support the agreement.

Best,

Bob