[BoulderCouncilHotline] Preserving Mixed-Use along East Pearl

Grano, Jill GranoJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Mar 5 14:32:45 MST 2018

Dear Hotline followers,

I am writing to offer a heads up that at tonights meeting I will be seeking a "Nod of 5" asking the City Attorney's office to bring forward an ordinance at the March 20 meeting to address the rapid conversion of mixed-use to residential that is happening on East Pearl.

Specifically, I will be requesting that in the MU-3 zone, from 18th Street to Folsom, that we require all parcels that have frontage on Pearl to include ground floor retail that is at least 25 feet deep.  Additionally, I would like a requirement that parcels with corners that abut to Pearl also include ground floor retail on the corner.  Finally, I will be asking for a parking reduction for those future retail spaces.  I am open to a conversation if we only want to increase the depth or require that only a certain percentage of the frontage to be retail.

East Pearl from 18th to Folsom has always been an important mixed-use zone and it is home to many of Boulder's most beloved retail locations. What many of us did not realize until now is that within the MU-3 zone, developers are able to build 100% residential "by right."  There is a disincentive to build any retail because of the parking requirements, and the fact that residential development is so lucrative in that zone.  Here is an article that the Camera wrote about the projects already underway: http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_31690393/luxury-townhomes-planned-boulders-east-pearl-displacing-five

East Pearl was recently identified by the experts that the City hired for our downtown retail study as an important location for retail, and as a critical connector to 28th and Boulder Junction. It is also among the most affordable retail on Pearl.  We are at imminent risk of losing this important mixed-use area to residential development if we do not act fast.  Already, residential development is displacing Jet's Espressoria, Snarfs, and a number of other important businesses. In the future we could displace Madelife, Cured, Dish Gourmet, Mateo, the guitar shop, Phil's Art Studio and any retail from 18th to Folsom on Pearl Street.

To be clear, I still encourage residential development along East Pearl, but only if it is mixed-use and includes ground floor retail.

I look forward to a community conversation on this topic.

Jill Adler Grano

Boulder City Council

granoj at bouldercolorado.gov

303-917-6810

"The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing, becomes as political an act as speaking out. There's no innocence. Either way, you're accountable."
-Arundhati Roy