[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: Fire Suppression / OAU ADU codes

Calderazzo, Michael CalderazzoM at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jun 5 15:51:33 MDT 2018

Hi Warren,

I wanted to follow up on your suggestion and let you know that the fire marshal, the chief building official and I have looked into your proposed alternative as a NFPA 13D solution. While not yet UL-listed (and the code does call for a 13D sprinkler system), we agree that this misting solution appears to be a worthy substitute for such code requirements. I want to be clear, though, that our current code does not call for sprinkler retrofits of existing OAUs/ADUs, just new construction.

However, where the code does call for a residential sprinkler install, we would entertain this proposed alternative system subject to the same type of application, permit, and inspections we typically require today. That would mean:

  1.  Plans would need to be submitted for permit;
  2.  The system would need to be inspected with a qualified installer present; and
  3.  Final acceptance would occur according to the manufacturer’s procedures and with a qualified person.

I hope this information is helpful and thank you for your suggestion!

Michael Calderazzo
Fire Chief
[Boulder Fire Rescue]<https://bouldercolorado.gov/fire-rescue>
O: 303-441-3357
C: 720-633-6433
calderazzom at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:calderazzom at bouldercolorado.gov>

Boulder Fire Rescue
3065 Center Green Dr. | Boulder, CO 80301
Bouldercolorado.gov<https://bouldercolorado.gov/fire-rescue>