[BoulderCouncilHotline] comments regarding Lippincott purchase tonight

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jul 17 12:37:08 MDT 2018

Today,  Boulder has the opportunity to purchase the Lippincott property, ~450 acres in northern Jefferson County and southern Boulder County.    This is truly exciting as this has been a significant goal since the late '90's when the city took the bold move to acquire the Jewell Mountain and van Vleet properties in 1999 as Open Space in an area planned for a significant 28 sq mi urban development, Jefferson Center (if built, it would have been larger than the city of Boulder). If developed, that would have had significant adverse impact on transportation in south Boulder, on our economic vitality (remember Flatirons was just opening to the east of Boulder), and would have negatively impacted the city and the county's investment in Open Space on our southern border.

Acquisition of multiple properties south of Boulder has been a 20+-year strategy of the city of Boulder and preservation of Lippincott is one of the last large significant pieces in the southern properties preservation puzzle. The 1999 acquisitions combined with preservation of Rocky Flats as a national wildlife refuge started the aggressive preservation of these plains with mountain backdrop lands and I am excited we are at this juncture. The conservation easement on the Hogan property that the city was able to acquire some years back was another stepping stone in preserving this expanse of high quality ecosystems and rare geologic features for all to enjoy.

One other exciting step is that the city is partnering with Jefferson County in this acquisition.  Back in 1999, no one would have ever thought a partnership between these two entities would ever be possible but our relationship has grown to a strong one. In December 2010, we partnered on Section 16, expanding the Rocky Flats National Wildlife Refuge (with Boulder County) and tonight I hope the city moves forward into another successful partnership with Jefferson County.

Please see attached oblique aerial photo of Jewell Mountain and associated properties that have been preserved over the past 20 years.  Tonight we can help to finish the puzzle.  Lippincott is a beautiful property with high ecological values, given its current unfragmented nature and rare species.

Some actions/visions take a long time to complete.....