[BoulderCouncilHotline] items for the Feb 20, 2018 Council meeting

Carlisle, Cynthia CarlisleC at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Feb 20 13:31:13 MST 2018

Dear Council colleagues and city staff,
I won't be attending this evening's meeting but wish to weigh in on a couple of items.

Regarding the Chautauqua Access Management Plan, I'd like to see us collect data for another year, extending the pilot program-- after making the staff "corrections"--before signing a longer contract.  After reading neighbor comments and seeing the 9th Street residents' petition, I'd like to come back in a year, analyze new data, and see where we are.  Given the visitor numbers at Chautauqua and the probability that they'll increase, I'd hate to see us jump the gun regarding a five year contract.   Additionally, given the increasing visitor pressures on OSMP, Chautauqua might be a bellwether for access issues that will be coming up in future, like 311 Mapleton and its impacts on Sanitas, among others.

I'm in favor of acquiring the Hogan-Pancost property and think we ought to secure its "use," if any, with this council, so that it doesn't come back with the spectre of development in future.  General fund monies may get the process started, but this land needs go into a dedicated funding source, like Parks.

Regarding staff's questions concerning linkage fees,  I'm in favor of an ordinance raising fees.  I favor fees based on "Nexus findings with 45% commute adjustments," as in figure 5 of the staff memo. Those fees, for office space, for instance, are $58.40.  These fees represent less than half of the cost of affordable housing that's needed for new employees.  Begin phasing fees in after the ordinance is completed and passed.

Thank you for your consideration.

Cindy Carlisle