[BoulderCouncilHotline] Assault Weapons Ban

Grano, Jill GranoJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Feb 20 12:06:48 MST 2018

Dear Community Members,

I have alerted my Council Collegues to this, and I sending this email to alert the broader community:

During tonight’s City Council meeting, under Matters from the Mayor, I will be asking for a nod of 5 to pursue an Assault Weapons Ban in the City of Boulder.  In addition to an Assault Weapons Ban, I will be asking that we pursue a High-Capacity Magazine Ban as well as a Bump Stock Ban.

Assault Weapons with High Capacity Magazines provide the vehicle through which mass shootings are carried out.  We can no longer sit idly by as our children are gunned down in their schools.  We can longer sit idly by as worshipers at church, concert goers, and citizens living their everyday lives are senselessly murdered.

If the federal government will not take action to protect its citizens, then action must be taken at the State and Municipal level.

The Second Amendment is the only amendment in the Bill of Rights that includes the words “well regulated,” yet nationally the right to bear arms is one of the least regulated among our constitutional rights. The City of Boulder has always been proactive and forward thinking with our gun control regulation and it is time that we add Assault Weapons, High Capacity Magazines, and Bump Stocks to the list.

We anticipate that this will be an intensive community conversation.  In addition to a nod of 5, we will be scheduling a special council session to dive more deeply into these proposed bans.

We welcome community feedback on this matter.

Jill Adler Grano

“The trouble is that once you see it, you can’t unsee it. And once you’ve seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing, becomes as political an act as speaking out. There is no innocence. Either way, you are accountable.” -Arundhati Roy