[BoulderCouncilHotline] Diagonal Plaza

Yates, Bob YatesB at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Dec 5 11:43:56 MST 2018

Jane, Kurt & Chief Testa:

We have a large and immediate health and safety problem at the Diagonal Plaza. There are more than two dozen RVs and buses parked in two encampments in the north and south lots that appear to be used as housing, with another two dozen vans and cars parked nearby that also look to be lived in. Business owners along 30th Street have understandably complained to the police, but they say that they have been told by the police that there is nothing the police can do about the situation because the respective property owners have failed to authorize the police to cite or remove trespassers. I find that a bit odd, since the properties appear to be well-signed, prohibiting overnight parking and camping. If the police are having difficulty contacting the property owners or business tenants, I believe that Yvette may be able to help.

Please see the attached photos of the south encampment, which I took this morning. I would encourage you to visit the north lot and south lot encampments yourselves. You will observe deplorable unsanitary and unsafe conditions that I believe are dangerous for the people living in these encampments, as well as for neighboring residents, businesses and their customers. I do not believe that these encampments reflect Boulder community values.

I would appreciate it if you could advise me and the rest of council what steps are being taken to eliminate overnight camping at the Diagonal Plaza. If you believe that legislation or resources are necessary to allow the police to take action, please let us know and I will ask the Council Agenda Committee to schedule time for council to discuss as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Bob