[BoulderCouncilHotline] Request for Staff concerning tomorrow's discussion on South Boulder Creek flood mitigation

Grano, Jill GranoJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 6 17:34:17 MDT 2018

Dear Hotline Followers,

In preparation for the meeting tomorrow night regarding South Boulder Creek flood mitigation, I would like to make a request of staff: I am concerned about the timeline involved if Council does not pick just one option to move forward with into the preliminary design phase. Specifically, I am concerned that there will be substantial delays that will leave thousands of Boulder citizens in danger if we do not pick one option to move forward with.  My understanding is that the "Upstream Option" could require (at least): 1. New objectives to be determined; 2. A new public process (given that this has not been part of the public process that we already went through); 3. Another round of 3 different Board approvals; 4. Another City Council public hearing and deliberation. My request:  1. Will staff please come prepared to talk about the specific steps that studying the "Upstream Option" will add to the process (versus picking just one of the recommended options) and; 2. Will staff also please come prepared with a best guess at the specific amount of time that studying the "Upstream Option" would add to the process (versus picking just one of the recommended options)?  Is it possible to also answer the question of how much a study like this would cost?

Finally, flood mitigation cannot happen at all without working in partnership with the landowner.  That said, in an ideal world we would also hear from the landowner as to whether the "Upstream Option" is something that they will agree to.

Warmly,

Jill Adler Grano

Boulder City Council

granoj at bouldercolorado.gov

303-917-6810

"The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing, becomes as political an act as speaking out. There's no innocence. Either way, you're accountable."
-Arundhati Roy