[BoulderCouncilHotline] Background on the dangers of Initiative 108

Jones, Suzanne JonesS at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Aug 6 16:15:52 MDT 2018

Dear all—

I wanted to provide additional information on a matter that is on our Consent Agenda for tomorrow night’s Council meeting.

Specifically, we will be voting on a resolution opposing Initiative 108, which is a sweeping ballot initiative funded by the oil & has industry that is crafted to “curtail the ability of both state and local governments to adopt, implement or enforce virtually any law or regulation that might have the direct or incidental impact of reducing . . . the market value of any property owner’s private property.”

Per the attached legal memorandum prepared by counsel for the campaign against the measure, Initiative 108 goes far beyond oil and gas regulation, and could result in expensive and paralyzing claims against any local zoning restrictions or master planning, safety codes, height restrictions, infrastructure planning, etc.  Oregon adopted a similar measure in 2004 resulting in almost 7,000 claims requesting $19.8 billion dollars before residents repealed the measure.

I urge everyone to take a close look and understand the magnitude of what is being proposed by Initiative 108 and why we should vehemently oppose it.
Cheers,
Zan

Suzanne Jones
Mayor, City of Boulder