[BoulderCouncilHotline] Current tax collections for City of Boulder

Weaver, Sam WeaverS at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Aug 1 10:20:59 MDT 2018

Fellow Council Members and HOTLINE followers,

We have heard from community members and staff recently about how tax collections in Boulder are flat relative to previous years, and what consideration the City should give to tourism promotion as a result.  While the consideration of how to balance tourism with the larger Boulder economy is an interesting discussion, I wanted to make sure that our discussions are based on current facts.

Attached is the latest City revenue report, which is provided to all Council Members each month.  I am sharing this on HOTLINE so that members of the community and the press will have up-to-date information for consideration while forming their opinions.

The May revenue report can also be downloaded here: https://bouldercolorado.gov/links/fetch/41463

The takeaway is that tax collections in Boulder are up 9.3% through May 2018 over the same time period in 2017.  While much of this is construction use tax ($2.7M of the $4.75M increase), general sales tax is up 1.7% YTD (+$680K).

I hope this information is useful in informing discussions about Boulder's economy.

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council
weavers at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:weavers at bouldercolorado.gov>