[BoulderCouncilHotline] historic preservation or historic demolition in Boulder?

Carlisle, Cynthia CarlisleC at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Apr 23 15:29:13 MDT 2018

Councilmembers and City Manager,
It has been mentioned to me that a recent Design Review Committee of the Landmarks Board-three people, THREE- decided to issue a demolition permit for 466 Marine Street.  Apparently the property was just sold to "a developer" who outbid several families at $1.7 million and wanted to add "an addition."  Then came a staff person recommending demolition to the two board members on the DRC and it's a done deal-no review by the whole board, no call up by council, no nothing.  I walked by this property this morning, looked in the windows, saw its beautiful backyard and wondered if its conversion to another kind of green wasn't at the root of this.   This is anecdotal but comes from reliable sources.  First, I would appreciate a full response from the Landmarks staff so that we may know what happened and why?  What was decided, by how many people, and why?  Secondly, I wonder if a moratorium on buildings over 50 years old is appropriate while we find out what the situation is, particularly since I've heard this demolition is one of many.
It disturbs me that while I should be studying budgetary and transportation issues, my attention gets pulled back into the city's apparent lack of oversight of important preservation processes.
Thank you for your attention and a photo will follow separately,
Cindy